Disclaimer

..if you are easily offended or don't appreciate the semi-god like versatility of the word "fuck" you may want to stop now.


Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Wicked Witch is Dead; Long Live the Wicked Witch?

This post is written my a friend of mine who is a former Marine, combat vet, who also breaks the "ooh rah dumb dumb grunt" stereotype. I highly recommend reading this and passing it on. I have inserted a link to the author's website on his name. I have also included his e-mail and actual website address at the bottom of the page. This is an amazing parody and I am honored that I was given permission to pass it along. The writing speaks for itself so all I can really say is he is among the few of us standing around saying, "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore."


The Wicked Witch is Dead; Long Live the Wicked Witch?
BY: D James Davis



Before I even begin, let’s get one thing perfectly clear.  I feel genuinely relieved that the Wicked Witch is dead.  I feel happiness and joy at the fact that she’ll never again terrorize Munchkin Land.  We should all feel that way. 

What troubles me is the reaction to her death.  Where are we as a nation, and a people?  What does it say about us when we react to the loss of a life, even that of an enemy, with joy and laughter?  

Within minutes of the Mayor of Munchkinland’s announcement, the streets were flooded with people singing, dancing, and celebrating.  Choruses of “Ding!  Dong!  The Witch is Dead!” echoed all up and down the Yellow Brick Road.

Watching it all happen, I felt a palpable sense of unease.  Munchkin Land is the greatest Land in all of Oz.  I was raised to believe that.  And even as a cynical adult, part of my tiny Munchkin heart still believes it.  To see my people behave like this upset me.  We’re Munckins.  We believe in fairness, lollipops and lullabies for all.  Since when do we behave like a lynch mob?

A life was lost that day.  Yes, it was the life of a hateful, evil woman who spread death and terror among the innocent.  But it was a life nonetheless.  And loss of life is never a cause for happiness.

Many people defend their actions that day by saying that the Wicked Witch’s death will actually save lives.  And while this is undoubtedly true, it ignores the bigger picture.  Someone will take her place, experts say.  The most likely candidate is her sister, the Wicked Witch of the West.  And the result will actually be more conflict, not less.  

“We fully expect the Witch of the West to retaliate,” said a spokesperson for the Wonderful Wizard of Oz.  “The Emerald City is at Terror Alert Blue.  And that’s a Terror Alert of a Different Color.”  

There is a long, hard road ahead of us.  We still need to watch the skies for flying monkeys.  We still live in the shadow of a Wicked Witch.  And only time will tell if this one is as bad as her sister was.

Yet we will have to walk that road as a changed nation.  We lost something profound the morning that the Wicked Witch of the East died.  An occasion that should have been met with somber reflection was instead met with songs and laughter.

I don’t know what changed us.  I only hope that we still have the strength to endure as a nation under the reign of the new Wicked Witch.

You can e-mail the author at d_james_davis@yahoo.com

You can visit the authors website here http://www.djamesdavis.com/DJamesDavis/Home.html

1 comment:

  1. Odd that I had that song running through my head when I heard the news...

    ReplyDelete